In April 2011, I made the hardest and best decision of my life. I had a preventative bilateral mastectomy in order to manage my extremely high breast cancer risk. Now, follow me as I try to navigate nursing school..and well not much else because I'm so busy with that. But no matter how much else I can fit in, one thing is certain- life goes on!

Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Almost there!

Wow it's been a busy few weeks! I totally meant to update on my last clinical experience but I got so busy I forgot. I'll sum it all up in a few sentences: I love connecting with patients and hearing their stories. I had the sweetest 84 year old man who kept me laughing all day. My teacher schooled me on charting and assessing, both of which were sorely lacking, but I'm learning. It stressed me out, but I'll get there!

I started my new job last week at a local hospital. I LOVE IT! I'll be working PRN (as needed) in the Admissions office. I'm in training right now, but I can already tell I'll love the job. One thing I'm stressed about though- I thought I could work 3-7pm M-F, but unfortunately one class will last until 4:15 on M and clinical (at the same hospital) may go past 3pm as well. I'm really worried I'll end up being fired, but all of my friends assure me they'll work with me...but we'll see. I have a month or so to worry about THAT so right now I'll worry about...

FINALS

Yes finals. Final exam, final skills check off. BLAH. I also have an IV therapy check off coming up too. For final skills check off we won't know which skills we will have to perform until we get there..so we have to practice them all. Oy..my Easter break doesn't feel so much like an Easter break. I don't think I'll truly get a break until I graduate.

Did I mention I also have an online class thingy and a paper/project due too? Kill me now.

I've been volunteering at a local Victorian house museum for awhile and LOVE it! Some days it's the only thing that keeps me from getting so stressed I wind up in the crazy bin. There's a big annual Spring benefit coming up and come hell or highwater I will be there. I need fun in my life!

I've been bombarded today with the marriage equality issue that's going before SCOTUS. This is what I think

1- I'm not here to judge how other people live their lives. I need to concentrate on the plank in my eye instead of the speck in someone else's. He who is without sin cast the first stone kind of thing. (See I'm Catholic for 6 years and can still quote Scripture). I'm supposed to love people "Love thy neighbor as thyself" and its the "greatest commandment" (there I go again ;) )

2- As nurses, you're supposed to put your personal feelings aside and care for each person without prejudice. Everyone deserves equal treatment..the BEST treatment. The only way I can truly achieve that way of thinking is too use it in every aspect of my life.

3- Separation of church and state. God defined Christian marriage yes,,but sadly some people forget that not everyone in the good ole U.S. of A is Christian. They don't make me follow their religion, I won't make them follow mine Religious freedom is just what it says- religious freedom.

Anyway that's how my life has been lately! I'll try to update during Finals week. Until then I have homework to do, skills to practice and a paper to write. It never stops!

No comments:

Post a Comment