In April 2011, I made the hardest and best decision of my life. I had a preventative bilateral mastectomy in order to manage my extremely high breast cancer risk. Now, follow me as I try to navigate nursing school..and well not much else because I'm so busy with that. But no matter how much else I can fit in, one thing is certain- life goes on!

Saturday, March 9, 2013

As promised!

Here's a little update into what's going on in my world right now:



Yep.
I mean really. Everyone (who's not a classmate) keeps saying ," It'll be worth it one day" Yeah I know..but that one day is a long ways away. Until then, I will continue to moan and groan and complain and cry and scream my way through clinicals.

I actually can't believe my first clinical is Thursday. I feel like I've been in school forever. I almost laugh when I remember how hard I thought it was....I look back on that girl and just want to pat her on the head and say "You're so cute." I seriously had no idea what I was in for. I had my usual freak out at the beginning of the semester and failed a couple of things (not miserably but I still failed). Then I decided that a) I can only repeat so many classes before I'm booted out of the program and I'll be damned if it's the first class in the clinical program and b) it was put up or shut up time. So I did manage to pull my grade up to about an 80 which is a high C...just need to keep it there through finals!

We went to the hospital for training on the chart system that the hospital uses. Of course they'll be switching to a new system in a year so I'll have to learn that one too (great). I was still having trouble wrapping my head around the fact that we were caring for real, live people soon. I even said, "Their not plastic anymore. They're real!" I was thinking I was the only person in the world to feel like that, except I found a nursing student blog on the internet and she said almost the exact same thing. WHEW! Maybe I'm not crazy after all!

Well, I'll wrap it up here. I have a few book assignments for another class to do, a research paper, plus I have final skills checkoff, final exams and clinicals to prepare for. I did FINALLY get a job at the hospital I'll be having clinicals at in the admissions office. I start that next week so I'm super excited!

No comments:

Post a Comment