In April 2011, I made the hardest and best decision of my life. I had a preventative bilateral mastectomy in order to manage my extremely high breast cancer risk. Now, follow me as I try to navigate nursing school..and well not much else because I'm so busy with that. But no matter how much else I can fit in, one thing is certain- life goes on!

Sunday, June 22, 2014

30 things I learned when I was 30

I was thinking the other day that when I turned 30, I started experiencing a lot of changes. I changed jobs and schools. The two things my life revolved around. There were good changes too, like being elected to the board of directors at Woodruff Fontaine. And Fox brought 24 back...yay!! But just for one season...boo....

Anyway I decided to list things I've learned throughout my first 30 years of life (in no particular order) Enjoy!!

1- Never underestimate the joy of being carded. Seriously. I bought beer the other day and the cashier rolled his eyes and bypassed the age verification. I was depressed for hours.

2- Etiquette is underrated. Write thank you notes. They mean a lot.

3- When in doubt, overdress.

4- True acceptance and praise comes from within. Don't wait for others to give you acceptance or praise. It may never come.

5- Find your passion in life. Do something that you aren't doing to further your career, or to look good on your resume. Find what you love. Its amazing how you can make time for it.

6- Eat healthy. Seriously. That crap catches up with you eventually. Also, organic food IS better for you. Especially meat and eggs. Have you seen the awful conditions chickens, cows and pigs live in when they're nonorganic? Do you want that in your body?

7- Find something to have faith in.

8- Take time to relax. Seriously. You'll explode if you don't.

9- Always smile. No matter what. People find it hard to be rude to someone who's smiling.

10- Mind your manners. A simple thank you goes a long way. (I really believe that now that I'm working on a hospital floor. So thankless)

11- There is nothing wrong with going to bed early. Or staying home

12- Life is so much fuller with a dog. Or 3.

13- Everything happens at different times for different people. You are on your own path.

14- Don't compare yourself to other people. The grass is always greener on the other side. You don't know their whole story.

15- Let go. Dont hold on to grudges. Forgive...not because they need it...because you do!

16- Beer is good. So is wine.

17- You're never too old to start over and chase a dream.

18- Nothing lasts forever. NOTHING. I thought my medical issues like the brain tumor and mastectomy would last forever. But here I am..intact...and they're just a distant memory.

19- Listen to older people. Really listen. You can learn a lot.

20- Your memory starts to go. Really. I can't remember what I was going to put for number 20.

21. No one is irreplaceable.

22. "I'm sorry" and "I don't know..please help" should be in everyone's vocabulary.

23. You are never too good to do anything.

24. Its better to have a few close friends then a bunch of "friends"

25. Keep your secrets close. You can't trust some people that you think you can.

26. Learn how to say no.

27. If someone will gossip to you, odds are pretty good they'll gossip about you.

28. Dont let people still your happiness. Only you control how you react to things.

29. Dont try to change people. We all have our strengths and weaknesses.

30. Count your blessings. Love life...because the alternative sucks.

Its been a fun first 6 months of my 30s. Seems like I just turned 20.  I'm excited (and a little scared) to see what'll happen these next 10 years!

No comments:

Post a Comment